Monday, October 5, 2009

The Battle With Infertility

This evening I was thinking about several couples we know who are currently in the midst or beginning to discuss options with their doctor's about Infertility. It is something that is becoming increasingly common, but still so many couples are either afraid to discuss their anxiety about it, and sometimes are too embarrassed to even bring it up. I'm here to say - DON'T BE - YOU AREN'T ALONE. Just because it was easy for friends or family members to get pregnant.... that doesn't mean that getting pregnant IS easy.

Not being able to get pregnant can be stressful on both partners, and can affect your relationships with not only your spouse, but friends, family, and can even affect your job. Which in turn causes MORE stress. It's a crazy emotional roller coaster that sometimes spins so fast you're afraid you may lose yourself and fall off. We found it most helpful when we could reach out and talk about our infertility battle while we were going through it with others who had not only been through it, but were in the midst of it as well. I don't know if my cousin and his wife even know just how much of a comfort they were to us during this time.

I know, it sucks not being able to get pregnant when you want...I've been there. Unless you yourself are going through it (or have gone through it), there is no real way to understand...though I can say from experience....even while going crazy and gaining weight on hormone treatments - it was nice to know I was still loved. And yes, I did know I was loved...I was just so miserable and frustrated, felt so helpless about the whole situation, that I couldn't get past it and feel the love all the way.

BUT I am also lucky enough to know the joy of finally seeing the words "Pregnant" on a silly little pee stick. Shock and surprise when seeing a tiny little heart beating for the first time on an ultrasound. Of feeling my child moving around in my stomach, even kicking me in the ribs. And going through the hell that is labor. It's worth it. It's worth ANYTHING to try and have a baby. And its worth learning to have patience about your situation.

I read an article today, that I found really insightful. If you're battling with infertility...or trying to get pregnant and want more information about your cycle, etc. I highly recommend http://www.pregnancy.org/. It's a great site.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Whoa. Your timing is awesome. We've only been trying for about the past 7 months but I'm feeling frustrated because it seems everyone I know is getting pregnant incredibly easily. I know 7 months isn't that long but to me it seems an eternity. I just wanted to say thank you for your advice. :)

Lil Miss Sunshine said...

Welcome sweetie! I've been there...and am here if you ever want/need to talk about it! :)

Don't doubt yourself...it WILL happen!! :)

Julie Hart said...

Bobbi you are the greatest! reading this post almost brought me to tears. It's just so sad to hear more and more people having to go through this. Bean, I'm a friend of bobbi's who went through 3 rounds of IVF. I now have twin little miracles at home. Don't give up on your dream. It will happen for you.