Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It’s snowing…again. I think I’m over it. Or maybe I’m just cranky.

This weekend was a long one. Not in the relaxing sense of the word, but in a “ugh why isn’t it over yet” kind of thing. You see…I finally made some “me” plans for the weekend. Friday night I was set to meet up at a nearby restaurant for a girls night dinner, Saturday I had tickets to see Jesus Christ Superstar, and Sunday I was hoping to get out of the house and go for some coffee…either by myself or meet up with a girlfriend. Also this weekend Tony needed to find a new vehicle since his has been broken since just before Christmas.

I should have known something was up on Thursday when I woke up with a stomach bug. Fortunately for me…it only lasted for about 24 hours…maybe a tad more…BUT…just as soon as I started to feel better – WHAM – the bug got Tommy. My poor little man couldn’t keep anything in. So, since Friday, he’s been a mess (Its Tuesday and he’s still not himself). Thankfully – he’s been in a pretty decent mood….but we couldn’t risk taking him anywhere (and we didn’t want him to catch something else while out, possibly getting sicker.)
So…I cancelled my plans for Friday night, and Sunday. I wasn’t about to miss JC Superstar…as it was my early birthday present from my parents (Thanks again for taking me Mom!). Tony spent much of the weekend on the car business (and it was warm enough for him to finally get the rest of the Christmas lights & things put away.). He also had a touch of the stomach bug…so I was on baby duty. I tried really hard to enjoy myself at JSC…but the thought of my baby sick at home, the awful seats we had (selling seats where you can’t see part the stage should be illegal – its just so wrong), and the fact that I had not had time to eat yet Saturday…sort of ruined the experience for me. Don’t get me wrong…the performance was excellent. Ted Neeley, who portrays Jesus in the movie version of JCS was headlining…and the man who played Judas was amazing. But my thoughts were more on my empty stomach and sick little man, than the musical.

I’m not usually such a downer. When things come up, I can usually just roll with the punches…but I had a mild case of cabin fever going on, and really – I just needed to do something other than just being “mom” for a couple hours. It wasn’t Tony’s fault…and he was very supportive while I blubbered and felt sorry for myself on Sunday – so I made sure he did not cancel his plans to meet up with his guy friends for the Superbowl (friends he hasn’t seen in a while, and a game I didn’t care to see). He also managed to find a new jeep, and sell the broken kia!

I’m really hoping I can find the time to do something later this week or over the weekend…I’d love to go to the movies or do something. So we’ll see.
Since we’re stuck in the house today (ugh...snow and ice), I decided to give the whole Vegan baking thing a try. I made banana nut bread…and somehow managed to keep myself from dumping milk chocolate chips into the batter. I am very proud of myself for that last bit. It’s cooling as I write this (Tommy’s napping)…and I’m anxious to try it out. If it tastes as good as it smells (my house smells soooooo yummy right now) I’ll post the recipe…if not…well…you won’t hear about it again! I’m not Vegan. To be honest, I don’t even think I could be a Vegetarian. I LOVE me some beef & pork products…but… I’ve been incorporating some Vegetarian & Vegan (soy milk instead of cow’s milk, etc.) dishes into my normal diet…and it’s nice to try something different.
There’s always an awesome carnivore-friendly dish out there for me to rave about though…(gotta be fair to both teams right?? - I know Jaqi will disagree. Sorry Jaqi.) Here’s something Fantastic that Tony made this weekend. For his friend’s superbowl party on Sunday, Tony braised some mild Italian sausage with onions and green peppers…he then let is simmer for about 4 or 5 hours in a garlic, oregano, and butter sauce. His friends enjoyed it like a sandwich on rolls… but we decided to throw the leftover mixture in with some angel hair pasta…and it was DELICIOUS. I am bummed we ate it all last night for our dinner, because I would really really like to eat some more of it today.
And "Thank You" to Cindy D., who suggested I try giving Tommy some frozen mini-bagels to help with his teething...wonderful idea! As soon as he's feeling better...that's what I'll be doing!

No comments: