Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Busy Busy Week

I’m getting a little nervous as the time for “teething” draws ever nearer. Lately, Tommy has been drooling a bit, and spitting up a little bit of his food at each bottle (which never use to happen) – and I know that’s a sign that teething could be beginning. I’ve been putting his binky in the fridge so that he gets use to the cold (and gets relief just in case teething is starting early). I’ve felt his gums and I haven’t noticed any change…so we’ll see.

He has just begun to sleep “through the night.” Tony usually feeds him his last bottle of the day between 11:30P and 12:30A, then he’ll sleep until sometime between 5:00 and 6AM. It’s a good start, and we are really looking forward to the time when he goes to bed earlier at night. I know it’s been rough on Tony to stay up so late. Pre-baby we usually got up by 7AM (weekends), we’re both morning people – but it was nice to have the option to just lie in bed for an extra hour and talk. I miss that. It’s a great way to start the day though, when I peer into the crib and Tommy’s big smile greets me. We don’t let Tommy sleep in our bed, but I will sometimes lay him in Tony’s arms for a minute or two, after he’s had his morning bottle (while Tony is relaxing in bed for a precious few minutes) and the sight just takes my breath away. Tony holding the baby, while Mav curls up on the floor just below them. Gazing at them, I feel as if everything is right in the world.

Monday night we went to the mall. We were looking for a Christening outfit for Tommy. We cruised through several department stores, stopped for coffee (and muffins), and just enjoyed being out of the house for a few hours. The coffee was “okay” – I got this espresso frozen treat which tasted more like a coffee flavored icee. I was very excited about the muffins they had. When I use to go to Starbucks more often, I would always get this muffin called a “black bottomed cupcake.” It was a giant chocolate cupcake with a cheesecake-like filling. Absolutely fabulous! Sometime ago Starbucks stopped making it – and to this day I have no idea why! Anyway…every time I stop now, I look to see if they might have it again – alas…no black bottomed cupcakes. But, to my great surprise – the coffee shop at the mall had them! It was called something else – but I knew what it was right away. I just had to buy one. I saved it for breakfast yesterday – and it was everything I hoped it would be. The moist fluffy texture, the mix of the chocolate and cheesecake flavors blending together – and the chewy muffin top. The entire experience was heavenly. I’m glad I don’t go to the mall very often, because now that I know they are there – I’ll be sure to stop and get one again… and that would not be helpful to this diet I’m on. (Like most things that taste amazing – the black bottomed cupcake is loaded with calories.)

I found the recipe online… so here you go. Seriously… if you like cupcakes or muffins… try this, it’s 5 Star deliciousness.

Black Bottom Cupcakes

Ingredients:***Filling:***
16 ounces room temp cream cheese
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 pinch salt
1 small bag chocolate chips (mini chocolate chips work great!)
***Cake Batter:***
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
2/3 cup oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Cream the cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg and salt. Stir in chocolate chips Set the filling aside. Mix the cake batter. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla Beat well and fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with chocolate batter. Drop about a scant teaspoon of cream cheese mixture on the top of each in the middle. Bake in preheated 350 oven for approximately twenty minutes. Makes three dozen cupcakes.
340 calories per cupcake (Yikes – told you it was a lot of calories – but so so worth it!).

Tommy is getting so big. It’s hard for me to believe he’s three months old already. His latest “tricks” are sticking his tongue out, and grabbing for things. He especially likes to squeeze fingers and pull my hair. I’ve been working on him grasping things, such as wrapping his fingers around his thinner toys so he can feel the texture differences between plastic, furry, and silky smooth objects. I’ve also been teaching him to keep his hand open on his bottle while I’m feeding him. Of course there are days when he wants nothing to do with what I want him to do. Hahaha. But that’s just fine. There is plenty of time for him to learn all that there is in his world.
Last night we went to a birthday party. Tommy enjoyed watching the other kids run around and play. We put him on the little riding toy, and he held onto the handle bars. It was cute. He did not enjoy the icing from the cake, which Tony put on his lips for him to taste. We have a couple of cute pictures from last night to share.

His face says it all. He's not a fan of icing. (Yes - thats icing not spit up.)

Tommy sitting like a big boy & gripping the handle bar. Me and my boy (I swear I wasn't posing for this picture - but I have lost 6 lbs this month!)

No comments: