Friday, July 18, 2008

I Love To Read.

I just realized I don’t normally talk about my favorite hobby – reading. I’m actually shocked at myself. So here we go!

I've been reading this series for as long as I can remember. It's called “The Sword of Truth” by the author Terry Goodkind. There are 11 books in the series (and one that is supposed to predate the series called Dept of Bones). The first book Wizard’s First Rule came out in July 1995, and the last in the series, Confessor, came out November of last year (I have them all in hard cover). I just found out - the man (Sam Remi) who directed Xena Warrior Princess is directing Wizards First Rule (Book 1) for a tv series set to air this fall (ABC is producing). I've always said it would make a great movie but a television series is the next best thing (I guess, *sigh*). I am SOOOO over the top excited. Reading the story of Richard and Kahlan has been a “luv affair” of mine for over 10 years and I am excited to see it come to life on the screen (even if it is television). I highly recommend the books to anyone who’s into science fiction with magic (Wizards, Sorceresses & war), its good vs. evil with a bit of romance in the mix. (A little side note:I almost named our dog Maverick after one of the characters in the books – Zedd – a very wise and very kind older Wizard. No one could pronounce the name but me… so he was named Maverick Bear instead. That’s how much I adore this series though. I am soooo happy. I really hope that it ends up on the evening line up this fall. )

I have quite a few favorite authors actually and not all from the same genre. Some of my favorite Chick Lit authors are Nora Roberts, Sheryl J. Anderson, Sophie Kinsella, Cecelia Ahearn, Jennifer Weiner, Clare Naylor, and Lauren Weisberger. I read a lot of “Chick Lit” and when I find an author I like I usually try to get as many of their books as I can get my hands on. Thanks to both my Mom and my good friend Tana whom share their books with me (and vice versa)…I’m thankfully not going broke from personally buying all of these books I adore.

I have so many Nora Robert’s books I had to store most of them in boxes up in the attic (which pains me). My favorite of her’s is called The Villa. It involves two wineries and the families who run them. I’ve read it at least 6 or 7 times. It’s really good.

I also have a ton of books by the author Clive Cussler. His books involve underwater action/adventure with a twist of history and a bit of comedy. One of his books, Sahara, was even made into a movie. Matthew McConaughey as Dirk Pitt = DELICIOUS.

I just started a new series – well, new to me anyway. I read in my Entertainment Weekly magazine about this movie that is coming out on December 12th called “Twilight.” Aparently its based on the book by the same name written by author Stephanie Meyer. The magazine said it’s about vampires. Yeah – that was pretty much all it took for me to be on Amazon and purchasing Twilight. I like vampire books. I’ve read most if not all of Anne Rice’s novels, among others I’ve come across. It’s not that I think they are real or anything. I’m just fascinated by the unknown. Anyway – I read Twilight, in less than a day. It’s addicting and completely fantastic. I have already gone online and purchased the rest of the books in the series (though they won’t be delivered until the middle of August since I preordered the last in the series {to be released Aug. 2nd} – somehow I must be patient). I’m excited to see where Edward and Bella’s adventures take them, and what she chooses in the end.

If I had had any brains at all when I chose what to study in college… I should have gone into library science. Then I could have be involved with teaching children, and reading! Best of both worlds! Alas… I did not.

I really hope I can instill the love of reading in Tommy. He has a small variety of books in his room & I have been trying to read to him at least once a day. I would take a book over television or even a movie – any day! For me, the characters come to life in my head and I become “involved” with the story. It’s a perfect way to relax and escape the monotony of every day life. I think my love of reading helped me to get through school, then college, and I hope that my son will follow in my footsteps, if only in that regard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Bobbi,


Your blog is great and Tommy is so cute. If you like chick lit, you should try Emily Giffin. She wrote 2 books from the points of view of 2 best friends in "Something Borrowed" and "Something New". And two others called "Baby Proof" and "Love the one you're with". If you haven't read any of them and want to borrow any, let me know. I can lend you the first three.

Take Care,

Kimmie