Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's Brand New Day America, Anything Is Possible.

I love being a witness to history. I sat crying tears of joy while watching the inaugurations today. Tommy sat on my lap as we joined millions of others in celebration of change. If you missed President Obama’s speech… google it! It was powerful. Congratulations Mr. President, I’m proud to call you my leader.
Lets talk food…
Here is a picture of the cake I made for my girlfriend’s baby shower over the weekend. For an amateur, I think I did a pretty good job of carving and decorating it. I had an idea of what I wanted to do…and achieved that goal. Go me! For those who have not yet tried Minute Maid’s Pomegranate Lemonde…you should get on that. It is both delicious and refreshing. YUM!! I found a great slow cooker recipe. I have never been a fan of pork. In fact…the only reason I make pork at all is because I’m determined to have variety in my life. BUT…that has all changed!!! I had a pork tenderloin, and didn’t have a clue what to do with it… so here’s the recipe I came up with after searching for a few online. I thought it was FANTASTIC!!!! Tony and I have been eating the leftover pork in sandwiches and for lunch. So good.
Slow-Cooker Pork Tenderloin Recipe
1 pork tenderloin
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 cup red wine (I used a Chianti)
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano

Mix all ingredients and pour into slow-cooker (crock pot). Slow cook for 4 hours (until super tender and meat easily falls apart – like pulled pork). I turned the meat over after every hour, just to make sure it cooked all the way through & the flavors were dispersed evenly. You can use the “cooking liquid” as an au jus gravy over the meat. I served it with mashed potatoes and a side salad.

Also – I made baby food! I took 3 half ripened medium sized bananas, ½ cup of blueberries, and 1 cup of applesauce (organic) and mixed them together in our blender. Not only does Tommy LOVE it… but it was great mixed with our cereals (oatmeal) yesterday, and as a light (but filling) snack for me today. There’s enough for us both to snack on the fruit mix all week – its healthy – and it saved me money since I didn’t have to purchase extra fruit mixes of baby food.

It snowed here yesterday. I loved watching the snow fall, but hated the fact that Tony had to drive home in it last night. Here’s a couple pictures. Tommy is definitely not a fan of the snow.

1 comment:

Reunion Committee said...

I saw that juice last night and was wondering about it!! yummy
I LOVE the cake.. bravo!!