Thursday, January 15, 2009

Annnnnd We're Back!

Ahhhhhh! I know I know, I’ve been terrible about blogging lately. Sorry ‘bout that!
Like most people, I’ve started the year off with some plans, ideas, and wishes I’d like to see happen in my life throughout this year. I have three big resolutions. The first is to get myself in shape. There are a few areas I’d particularly like to tone up, and a few more pounds I’d be very happy to lose. My plan is to work out at least three times a week…hopefully more. But I don’t want to overwhelm myself. I know me…if I think it’s too much of a hassle…chances are, I just won’t do it. And I need to for both now, and my future health. I know that if I start being proactive about all aspects of my health now, I can avoid some of the typical problems I’ve seen some of the older generations dealing with. So that’s resolution no. 1.
Another resolution is to take time to do things for myself. Whether it’s to go get a pedicure (or a haircut), buy myself something new (clothing, etc.) or just to go out on my own to visit with and reconnect with my friends. It’s very easy as parents, especially new parents, to forget who you are both as an individual and as a couple. Sometimes I do feel like I’m Tommy’s Mom, and Tony’s Wife…but the ME gets a bit fuzzy. So, I’d like to try and reconnect with myself too.
My last resolution is actually one that is going to be quite hard for me. Patience and Forgiveness. You see, when it comes to children, I have all the patience in the world, adults are another story - especially ones who are much older than I, but still (and possibly will forever be) far less mature. It irks me, and many I time I either do not want to be in the presence of these individuals, or I am quickly annoyed and therefore not patient with them. So I plan to do better with this, for my sake, and for my relationship with them. This comes to the second half of resolution #3 - forgiveness. I need to learn how to be more patient yes…but also I need to be better at forgiveness. This applies to myself, as well as the forgiveness of others. It is hard for me still to forgive certain people who truly hurt me while we were going through the infertility process. I am done with holding grudges. I’m not good at it, and it doesn’t make me feel good to hold one against someone….so I have no choice but to forgive. I can’t promise I will forget, in fact, I don’t think I ever will, but I can forgive and in doing so let go of the ugliness I feel inside toward these people.
I think three resolutions is a good way to start off the new year, don’t you? We’ve been keeping pretty busy. For starters, Tommy has begun to crawl!! Can you believe it! I hardly can. It took about a day of him rocking back and forth on his hands and knees to taking that “step” of moving both his arms and legs in synch. Once he got that down…he was off! The first official crawling step happened on the 9th, and he hasn’t stopped moving since. I will turn away for a moment, and all of a sudden he’s across the room. It’s amazing and wonderful, and terrifying. Hahaha. I’m in constant fear now that he’ll get into some sort of mischief, that he’ll collapse and hit his chin or nose on tile floor of our kitchen, or that he’ll smack his little head into the coffee table. I know all kids do this, but when its your own, and its your first…I suppose its natural to be a little over-protective and worrisome. Tommy will be 9 mos old next week. Which is such a shock to me. He’s exploring more and more of his world, and he’s really getting into eating regular food! He loves cherrios, and I’ll give him bits of the food I eat in small little pieces. He’s done really well, my little eating machine. We've been watching language videos together, and I'm hoping he's absorbing some of the Spanish and Italian so that its easier for him to learn other languages. I know I am! Soon I’ll be planning his first birthday party…the time has gone by way too fast for my liking. My baby will not be a “baby” for too much longer.
We’ve got some exciting things coming up. Two of my closest friends are having their first children soon, the first of which we’re having a shower for this weekend. It’s not a surprise…but I don’t want to give away all the details, in case she reads this…so that will have to wait until next week. We’re also going to meet up with one of Tony’s cousins this weekend. We don’t know many of Tony’s family, since most are in Spain – so it will be great to get to know them. Amazingly enough, they had their first child, a little boy, in June…so Tommy and his second cousin will be very close in age. I think that is just wonderful! Lastly…my sister is coming up for a visit in February, and I can hardly wait. I just love spending time with her. She warms up a part of my heart that is quietly chilled when she is not around. I can’t wait to see her.
I hope the beginning of everyone’s year is going well. I’ll get a video up of Tommy crawling as soon as I can. (Those on facebook – there’s a couple up already)

1 comment:

Reunion Committee said...

we should meet half way and walk at a track!!