Thursday, May 22, 2008

Much Ado About Stonehenge

I need to vent...just a little.

I am so irritated. I read an article today about recent vandalism at Stonehenge. Apparently, the men were spotted before too much damage could be done (they escaped!) but not before they used a hammer and screwdriver to cut a piece off one of the stones. As a lifelong history buff, Stonehenge is a thing of historical significance, and even enchantment to me. I don’t understand why it is that people have this need to destroy what they don’t understand. I know much of the world is so caught up in the comings and goings of their own lives that they don’t care to learn about or cherish our past. I’d like to know why they try to ruin it for those of us who believe in the importance of Stonehenge and other historically imperative sites? I believe with all of my heart that we should preserve our past, not destroy the last lingering remnants of it.

It just breaks my heart that someone does not have respect for something so captivating. It is my dream to someday visit England and Ireland – to visit historical landmarks, medieval cathedrals, jovial pubs, and rolling green hills. I want to walk in the footsteps of the Knights Templar, listen to lingering tales of folklore, see where the kings and queens of the past lived and died. I guess that is part of the reason why this recent vandalism has upset me so much…they don’t appreciate what is in front of them, and I would give anything to experience these places. I hope with all of my heart that the two men who took part in the vandalism are caught and are dealt with accordingly.

No comments: