Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Resting, Resting

We had an OB appointment last night. I’m still 2 cm dilated, and 50% effaced. When I had my internal, the doctor said the baby is in position, and that she could feel the top of his head – which is both amazing and slightly scary. As ready as I am to meet my little guy, I’m very nervous about going through labor. I’ve actually had a hard time sleeping because I’m scared. I know women go through it all the time and all of my girlfriends have been just fine going through it, but as a first time mother I'm guessing its natural to be a bit apprehensive about labor.

Internals are not fun. I’ve been feeling fairly crampy and uncomfortable since yesterday (some spotting too, but that is normal), which is another reason I didn’t sleep well. I took some Tylenol a little bit ago though, so I’m hoping that will help.

I realized in texting a good friend of mine last night that most people do not necessarily understand what dilation and effacement are (and neither did I until recently). Therefore, here is a good explanation I found on the internet:

Both dilation and effacement are terms that relate to the cervix. The cervix basically connects the vagina to the uterus. As labor approaches and progresses, the cervix will dilate (open) and thin (efface.) Dilation merely refers to the diameter of the cervix. Prior to the late stages of pregnancy, the cervix remains fully closed. Sometime during the last trimester, the cervix begins to open and this can represent the beginning of labor or the body preparing itself for labor in the near future.As labor progresses, the cervix should dilate further and further until it reaches full dilation at about 10 cm.Effacement refers to the thinning of the cervix. The cervix becomes thinner and thinner as labor approaches, and is 100% "effaced" or thinned out once labor begins.

So basically, I’m not in labor yet, and it could remain this way for several more weeks before I actually go into labor...or it could happen any moment now. There's no way to say for sure when the exact day will be. I’m feeling a lot of lower pressure and just uncomfortable in my own body. I just hope I don’t end up going later than my due date, because I don't want to have to feel this way for longer than May 8th.

Yesterday was a nice day for Tony. His coworkers threw him a baby shower! They presented him with a nice spread of goodies, and a few very nice gifts. He was very surprised and had a wonderful time. Here are a couple of pictures. I wish I could give them all hugs and say "Thank You."

No comments: