Monday, November 17, 2008

"Baby, It's Cold Outside!"

I can't get that song out of my head. I must have heard it a dozen times over the weekend. (We have Christmas music tuned in our radios).
Can you believe Thanksgiving is the end of next week?? That’s crazy! I have a couple projects lined up to do with Tommy and his friend Christopher, who I have been watching once or twice a week. Tommy really likes having a friend around, and I’m enjoying having Christopher here too. The two boys are learning to play together, and Tommy doesn’t seem to mind sharing toys with his buddy. I think Tommy will learn a lot from Christopher. Already since I’ve been watching him, Tommy has begun to try and hold his bottle just like Christopher does, and he’s trying more than ever to learn how to crawl. I think it’s only a matter of time before he does. This past week I did some Christmas shopping, but mostly I was looking around for decoration ideas. I found a tablescape online that I really love, so I’m going to mimic it…of course I’ll add a thing or two to make it my own, but basically this is how it’s going to look. Pretty right!
Tony and I started working on another set of display items for our outside decorations. As many know, we are really into those twinkling lights, and we go over-the-top every year. This year we are adding a small Nativity scene we bought at the end of last year, we’re also adding a collection of Disney characters we began making over the weekend. I drew out the characters on plywood, Tony cut them out using a saw (or something…I know nothing about tools), and I’ve been painting them during Tommy’s naps, and when he’s in bed at night. I really like the way they’ve been coming together, and I can’t wait to see them completed. Last night I mentioned to Tony that I thought it might be cool to sell things like this… but I’m not sure how much demand there is for these sort of things…especially in this economy. I think they will look fantastic in our front yard!! I’m so excited! This is me painting Mickey & Minnie (they are caroling), we also have Donald who’s wrestling with lights, Baby Mickey playing with a toy train, and Puppy Pluto wearing antlers. I’ll be sure to post pictures of them once I finish.
While Tony, Tommy, and I were out and about Christmas shopping and whatnot this week & weekend, I came across the best Santa Claus book I have ever seen. If anyone is looking for a unique gift to give a young reader (or family), I highly recommend it. It not only talks all about Santa, but it has long descriptions of his home, work shop, and even information about the north pole. It’s a lovely book. I got it at Target for $25, but I just saw it on Amazon for $14. The authors have another book on the Reindeer too, but I haven’t read that one yet. http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Claus-Rod-Green/dp/1416927581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226931614&sr=1-1 We were out looking for a stocking for Tommy, but haven’t found one we like yet. We did pick up a Santa Hat though. It is slightly big on Tommy but absolutely adorable. We finally picked out an outfit for Tommy for Christmas. I pieced it together from items I found from several different stores. I was disappointed in the selections at most stores, especially Babies R Us. They had really cute dresses and other things for girls, but when it came to cute outfits for boys they were lacking. Everything was black, brown, and navy blue with some hints of green. Not what I would call Christmasy. I did find a couple cute sweaters that I’m adding to Tommy’s pile of presents (he doesn’t have many clothes for 12 mos +). I’d like to think I’m done buying things for Tommy for Christmas…but we’ll see…there are still many shopping days left.
I remembered this morning that I wanted to thank whomever gave Tommy this little football rattle. Whenever I put Tommy into his highchair for meals, be throws a fit. Loves to eat, hates the highchair. BUT ever since I’ve been handing him this football rattle, he seems to be doing so much better. He distracts himself long enough for me to put his meals together which is such a relief. It’s quite difficult to keep your head and heart in check while putting together a meal, when your baby is crying his eyes out. So thank you, thank you, thank you, to whomever gave him this!!
And Congratulations to Nicole and Jeff of the birth of their second daughter Julia this past week. She's a cutie! Tommy can't wait to meet his newest little girlfriend!

No comments: