Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Columbus Day!

In celebration of Columbus Day today, I thought I would share the new website for the golden replicas of Columbus’ three famous ships. These ships were hand crafted by my Father-In-Law Antonio, a goldsmith who worked on Jewelers Row in Philadelphia. The three Golden Ships are scaled down replicas of the originals made from the blueprints of the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria.

It’s been 19 years since Antonio first began construction of these amazing ships. While he was still alive, I was privileged to see them together and fully constructed. I can tell you from experience that they are remarkable. When you are with them, it is as if you can feel the presence of greatness. You can get lost in the detailed work Antonio put into them and the glow that seems to emit from them. I’ve never seen anything like the three Golden Ships. There will never be anything else like them.

It’s been three years since Antonio passed away. I miss him and think of him often – but especially today. Today, I celebrate not just the life of the famous explorer, but also of my Father-In-Law who touched so many lives and dedicated part of his own life to honoring the history of these three ships.
The Nina
The Pinta
The Santa Maria

No comments: